From One Hand To AnOTHER (FOHTA) was founded by internationally known musical artist and producer Pharrell Williams in 2008 because he believed that every child could be a success if only they had the right tools. Pharrell Williams grew up in Virginia Beach in the Seatack neighborhood. Times were tough but his family was strong and he was lucky enough to find his tool for the future-music. That discovery changed his life and is the reason he is successful today. He believes if every community with underserved youth had a community center that was devoted to augmenting the learning experience needed to succeed and provide exposure to different technologies, arts and resources, kids could find their own tool – their key to a successful and fulfilling future. Pharrell Williams, with his partners in the corporate and education community, is building his vision of a community center – The Pharrell Williams Resource Center (PWRC).
Pharrell will be involved both in the campaign to raise funds for PWRC construction and in the development of its programs.
Since 2004 he has provided financial support for programs in Virginia Beach including the Back to School Supplies program and the distribution of Thanksgiving turkeys to residents of the neighborhood in which he grew up. The PWRC will be the crown jewel of his investment in this community.
Since our founding, the Organization has achieved the following milestones:
- Hired an Executive Director
- Developed an outstanding Board of Advisors and approved the formation of a Board of Directors
- Effectively impacted and improved the lives of over 1,000 underserved youths and their families in our first PWRC Summer of Innovation project developed with NASA, our partner.
- Established the first PWRC location through a partnership with the City of Virginia Beach
- Developed our core programs with the assistance of PWRC’s Board of Advisors