BOARD OF DIRECTORS MEETING
FROM ONE HAND TO ANOTHER
Date: Wednesday, June 28, 2016
Location: Conference Call
Present: Dr. Carolyn Williams, Stacey Lopez, Joshua Head, Robin Frank, Toiya Sosa, Dollie McCown
Absent: Bob Miller, Shaggy, Marco Martin, Billie Reid, Dr. Michael Summers, Dr. Schexnider, Dr. Waddell, Natasha Brooks, Michelle Larkin
Call to order: Meeting was called to order at 4:05PM by Dr. Carolyn Williams.
Reading and Approval of Minutes:
Minutes of the Saturday, March 10, 2016 meeting of the FOHTA Board of Directors were amended and approved as printed and distributed to the members of the board.
- Stacey Lopez made the motion of the minutes and seconded by Joshua Head.
Dr. Williams announced that Louisa Strayhorn is no longer with FOHTA. She thanked her for her hard work and dedication she has given to FOHTA for the past four years. We wish her the best in her future endeavors.
- We currently have 16 sites this summer with students attending from 19 different locations. Locations range from Newport News, Norfolk, Virginia Beach, Titusville, FL and our new location in Petersburg, VA.
- Williams visited the Graduation in Titusville, FL and shared the details of her visit.
- Attucks – Stacey Lopez shared the exciting news that FOHTA will have a summer camp at the Attucks Theater with 50 middle school students. Majority of our camps begin on June 27th and our Norfolk school camps start a week later on July 5th.
- New Office Space – The non-profit on file at the Attucks is going on hiatus. Gail Easley has offered FOHTA office space at the Attucks Theater.
- Yoobi – has partnered with I AM OTHER to create a school supply line to be sold in Target this summer. Their model is buy one give one, for every item purchased they donate an item to classrooms in need. They donated 30 classroom packs for over 1,000 students to FOHTA this summer and are also making a donation of approximately $225,000. The school supply line will be available for purchase in all US Target’s beginning July 5th.
- We are always in need of transportation for fieldtrips, buses and drivers.
- Toiya Sosa made a suggestion of purchasing a bus and paying a driver since it seems to be an ongoing challenge. Something we may have to look into in the future.
- We are in need of volunteers. Please come out and volunteer your time and also to see what it is we are doing.
- Joshua Head mentioned a lady named Barbara McCless who owns a Life Insurance Agency. She wanted to help with the financial literacy component and come out and speak with the younger kids on financial awareness.
- We had a meeting with Mayor Sessoms yesterday and a meeting with Dr. Spence today to help better understand how we can strengthen our partnership. We shared the concerns of the parents with the cost of the swimming and the transportation needs. Additional meetings to follow.
See It To Believe It
- Williams has challenged each of you to find a potential donor and visit one of the camps together in the month of July. Our hope is that they will enjoy what they see and return for the culminating event in August and potentially donate to the cause. This also brings awareness to FOHTA, the more exposure the better. Dr. Williams will email this information to all board members.
Next Board Meeting
Next board meeting will be our annual board meeting in November 2016.
Meeting adjourned at 4:35PM.
Respectfully submitted by,